It’s not often that someone has to kick down the door of their own home! Toria Brown, a REALTOR® of three and a half years in Shenandoah Valley, VA, had to do just that when her property was incorrectly listed as foreclosed. Luckily, she had a great network and support system and was able to clear things up with a lawyer – and still flip the property quickly! Tune in to hear Toria’s advice on what to look for when searching for your agent, lender, and inspector dream team.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:30 –Introducing Toria, her journey, and why she loves the show
- 01:00 – The show reminds her that she’s not alone in REALTOR® crazy town; it’s an amazing industry with variety and adventure
- 02:30 – She has learned to pre-game people on the home inspection
- 03:15 – She lives in the Shenandoah Valley in VA with an office in Augusta County; she’s been in real estate for three and a half years
- 04:20 – She is a farm wife and her mother bought and sold shithole houses when she was a kid; her cousin told her to get into real estate
- 06:00 – Toria’s biggest piece of advice for new REALTORS®: Find an office with a strong support system and helpful mentors
- 08:15 – Toria’s CSIRE story
- 08:30 – She’s encountered trashed homes with beer bottles, a marijuana odor, and guns; she’s also walked into a home with an unexpected naked person
- 09:05 – She and her mother bought a house to flip; she got to the house and there was a foreclosure sticker on the front, she couldn’t get ahold of anyone
- 10:10 – She kicked her own door in and the place was trashed; she wondered what would’ve happened if someone planned to live in that home
- 10:45 – She called the cops and a lawyer to clear that the house was hers and they were foreclosing the wrong house
- 15:35 – It ended well and sold quickly, 4 days above list
- 13:15 – On choosing who to work with
- 13:30 – Find people who will answer when you call, including your agent, lender, and inspector
- 14:40 – How to reach Toria: by cell phone at (540)460-3246 or at her office (540)943-0085 ; her email is tbrown.odrva.com
3 Key Points
- There’s still everything to learn after you get your real estate license.
- Find a brokerage that is supportive and happy to mentor you.
- Nothing’s ever perfect.