“Isn’t my body tight and toned? Isn’t it?” Um, awkward! Matt Ivey, a REALTOR® in the triangle area of NC (Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham and the surrounding areas), has quite the story about some crazy shit. From poop-stained carpets to a nutty ex-stripper whose stage name was “Beaverly Woods” (that’s not a typo) – the fun never stopped in that big brick house. Listen in to learn what Matt went through, what he smelled – and what he managed to learn from the whole experience.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Introducing Matt, a REALTOR® in Raleigh, NC who services the triangle area
- 02:06 – He enjoys working with first-time homebuyers - he likes the emotion – but he also works with distressed properties and investors
- 04:00 – Matt’s CSIRE story
- 04:05 – A lady called him with 110 acres and a four-story house of brick; he goes to meet her thinking it’s going to be a big sale
- 04:20 – The lady starts talking about an ex-boyfriend, stands up, and asks Matt, “Isn’t my body tight and toned? Isn’t it?”
- 04:45 – She was an interesting person; the house was not bad on the outside but stunk so bad on the inside
- 05:50 – It was a 4,000 square foot home with two window units, so they did nothing for the heat – which enhanced the smell
- 06:15 – The woman explained that her elderly mother had lived there and went crazy; she said, “I probably should’ve checked on her more often, and she had 17 dogs.”
- 06:30 – The mother wouldn’t let the dogs outside so they just went to the bathroom inside
- 07:05 – She had a crew of people living in the house and when Matt’s signs went up, a guy living there would break them and take them down
- 08:40 – The guy who was breaking the signs ended up breaking his neck somehow; the lady wanted to kick him out because she wanted to get the carpets cleaned
- 10:00 – She got involved in court proceedings and Matt got trolled by her family online; he ended up on “The Real Bad Apples of Wake County”
- 12:10 – A woman in the group was telling people not to support the woman; she was saying her son broke his neck working for her and now she’s kicking him out
- 12:30 – Someone also said that the woman used to be a stripper and her exotic dancer name was “Beverly Woods”
- 13:15 – That name was later corrected to “Beaverly Woods”
- 13:40 – Her business got terrible reviews and her responses were combative
- 15:35 – He ended up having to walk away; he saw some good in her but it just wasn’t going to work out
- 15:40 – Matt learned a lot about the eviction process during this time because the woman was trying to evict tenants
- 16:30 – It’s important to be able to gauge when it’s time to walk away from a sale; sometimes sellers sabotage themselves
3 Key Points
- How you respond to negative reviews matter.
- There’s a spark of divinity in everyone.
- Sometimes it’s best to walk away from a sale.