Who wants to go fishing? Not Shannon Register, a REALTOR® and broker of 25 years in the Houston metro area! From a signed contract that no one noticed was $20,000 off to a surprise dog-attack that caused her to drop her client’s keys into the deep end of their pool, Shannon has seen her fair share of real estate craziness. Listen in to find out how Shannon managed to fish out the keys and what she learned from the messy $20,000 mistake.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:45 – Introducing Shannon, a REALTOR® of 15 years in the Houston area with three independent brokerage offices and 50 agents
- 01:44 – She is an educator for consumers with her radio show
- 02:30 – Shannon’s CSIRE story
- 02:44 – She has seen agents make rookie mistakes on both sides
- 03:03 – An agent wrote the wrong sale price on a contract and it wasn’t caught until the lender noticed the mistake; all parties had already signed the contract
- 04:15 – The seller had multiple offers, they chose that one because it was $20,000 more than the other offers that had been made; the consumer didn’t understand the rules
- 05:20 – It was signed electronically and auto-calculated; it was a learning curve for everyone and a big issue
- 06:00 – Anyone could’ve made the mistake because of the way we do everything digitally now; people still need to review and understand what they’re signing
- 06:30 – Insurance had to pony up and fix it; it was a complicated fix that required renegotiation
- 07:20 – The importance of reading what you sign
- 07:45 – These mistakes aren’t typically done with bad intent; realtors just want to hustle and get their client into their home
- 08:04 – A broker wouldn’t know if there was a mistake if they don’t know the offer
- 08:30 – How Shannon makes sure this never happens again
- 08:37 – She makes sure everyone reads what they’re signing and only uses digital signatures when she must
- 09:16 – Another CSIRE story
- 09:24 – As she was about to lock the door to a seller’s house, a little dog ran up behind her, startled her, and she dropped the house keys into the deep end of the pool
- 10:15 – She needed to get the house locked up; so, she sent one of her kids to fish the keys out of the pool
- 11:15 – What she has learned
- 11:30 – Have a spare set of keys and put them in a purse or bag if you tend to drop or throw things when startled
- 12:40 – The one thing the public should ask before signing an agreement with a realtor
- 12:51 – “Are you committed to getting this done for me in my timeframe?”
- 13:50 – How to get in contact with Shannon and her brokerage
3 Key Points
- As an agent, double-check your work – even if you do it digitally!
- Consumers: Read everything!
- Have a hide-a-key or an accessible spare set if you’ve got an agent listing your house.