No one’s as detail-oriented as an engineer! Socar Chatmon-Thomas, a REALTOR® of 25 years in Austin, sure thought so when her client called with suspicions that his tile was off by an eighth of an inch. Socar, an electrical engineer herself, loves real estate because she sees it as a daily puzzle that puts her strategic and problem-solving skills to the test – and let me tell you, she is good. Listen in to find out how Socar satisfied her super-detail-oriented client – and how she made her latest client extremely happy.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:45 – Introducing Socar, a REALTOR® of 25 years with a background in electrical engineering; she is spontaneous, social, and creative
- 03:40 – The transition from engineering life to REALTOR® life
- 03:55 – Real estate is like a daily puzzle
- 04:10 – Socar’s CSIRE story
- 04:28 – A client of hers called her and said his grout was off by an eighth of an inch; he wanted to hire someone to inspect the grout
- 04:55 – She didn’t know that job existed so she called the National Association of Tile Installers
- 05:20 – She first called Dal Tile and they knew the client must also be an engineer
- 05:50 – She found someone in town who said the floor was “within tolerance” and didn’t charge them; it was a good tile job
- 06:32 – Takeaway’s from Socar’s story
- 06:58 – Know your client; if he/she is that detail-oriented, they won’t be satisfied until a true professional reviews the work
- 07:50 – What Socar’s clients say about her
- 07:54 – They recognize her as very detail-oriented, strategy-driven, and a great negotiator
- 08:25 – She chose to be a REALTOR®; her dad used to take her around to see land and would ask her how much she thought it was worth
- 09:18 – Negotiations as a strategic process
- 09:35 – Review potential outcomes and don’t get caught up in the emotions
- 10:40 – The most interesting moment in Socar’s real estate career
- 10:55 – She just met a 27-year-old man and his father; the son is a gamer and gets paid $10,000-14,000 a month to play games; Socar feels that is the most creative job
- 11:45 – People pay to watch him play games; he was her last sale of 2018
- 12:30 – She received the best compliment from the father who said she was “the best of the best”
- 13:40 – How to contact Socar; Phone #: (512)784-7150; Facebook: here; Email: Socar.Thomas@gmail.com
3 Key Points
1.) As a REALTOR® you are a calming force for your clients.
2.) See negotiations as a strategic process – not an emotional one.
3.) Parenting advice: Help your kids invest and build social skills!
- Audio Production by Chris Mottram
- Show Notes provided by Melissa Valder