What do you do when your client has to see a dragonfly to buy a house? You keep looking until you find one, of course! Bob Tompkins, a REALTOR® from Greenville, South Carolina, thought his client was a little quirky and unreasonable when she said a dragonfly was the sign she needed to decide on a home. Listen in to find out what happened – and learn how emotions and spirituality can play a part in people’s decision-making process, too.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:50 – Introducing Bob from Greenville, South Carolina; he serves the upstate area
- 00:55 – He’s been in real estate for 3 years, both his parents are real estate agents, and he’s been with Re/Max for a year and a half
- 02:30 – Bob’s CSIRE story
- 03:15 – He has a quirky client; he was helping her and her husband buy a house
- 04:05 – There was a dead dragonfly on the ground in front of a house she liked; she said she couldn’t buy it for that reason
- 04:17 – She said that she needed to see a dragonfly to know which house to buy; he didn’t know how that would ever happen
- 05:09 – At the tenth house, she knew it was the one; he was thinking that there had to be a dragonfly
- 05:27 – She loved everything about the house; they opened the sunroom and there were two glass dragonflies on a table
- 05:40 – She decided at that moment that she’d buy the house; they bought the house and remodeled it
- 06:35 – Lessons from the story
- 06:45 – The right house makes itself appear
- 07:30 – People get emotional and spiritual about selecting their home; be understanding about the fact that it isn’t always logical
- 08:20 – People buy on emotion, too, not just logic; the average realtor tries to sell it anyway, the exceptional realtor respects the buyer’s needs
- 10:50 – Advice for consumers calling a brand
- 11:00 – You should ask about agent retention; if they can’t keep their agent, they’re not doing something right
- 11:50 – Advice for REALTORS® who should move but are scared
- 12:00 – If you aren’t growing, you have nothing to lose; just pull the trigger, move, and get jumpstarted
- 13:10 – A move gave Bob energy
- 13:55 – How to get in contact with Bob: Facebook
3 Key Points
- The right house makes itself appear!
- Selecting a home isn’t always based purely on logic.
- Great REALTORS® ask questions and respect people’s needs.