This is real estate church, and we’re preaching some truth! Early on in her real estate career, Kim Knapp learned what it takes to be successful. It’s very simple: Just be above average. After selling $6 million in her first year, Kim landed among the stars and now instructs other realtors on how to do the same. Powered by hustle and grit, Kim discusses the importance of doing what it takes – even if that means popping 99 red balloons. Tune in to hear what it means to be “above average” and what it takes to become a true leader.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting The Leigh Brown Experience.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:06 – Kim works in Jacksonville, FL in Clay County, has been in real estate for 18 years, has a background in ministry and original had planned on working in counseling
- 1:40 – That background has been very useful in her work now; she knows that it’s not about the money in real estate
- 02:20 – In her first year in real estate, she didn’t know anyone but sold $6 million; Kim has had a strong work ethic since she was young
- 03:40 – She read and followed all the instructions in Danielle Kennedy’s book “How to List and Sell Real Estate”
04:30 – Kim asked her business-owner friend for the one most important piece of advice and it was, “Just be above average,” and to do a little more than everyone else
- 05:45 – Kim’s CSIRE story
- 06:00 – She went to a woman’s house that she had listed that was closing in 4 days; she hadn’t packed at all and was like a “crazy cat lady” with only one cat
- 06:50 – Kim and her family helped pack the lady’s belongings while she and a friend sat folding and pumping up balloons
- 07:05 – They put the balloons inside a cabinet so the glass shelves don’t break – it didn’t work – and Kim was left popping balloons and cleaning up glass
- 08:00 – She had 4 neighbors help pack and clean up this woman’s home, but in the process Kim lost a pair of Chanel sunglasses and a diamond out of a ring
- 08:40 – Doing what it takes but having boundaries
- 09:05 – When she first started she would drive across town for a $65,000 trailer; she gets agents that don’t want to drive far for an $80,000 trailer
- 09:30 – Treat everyone the same and be above average; you must hustle and do what it takes
- 10:00 – Kim now works in leadership and instructs realtors
- 10:15 – Be deeply invested in knowing what’s happening in the industry and educate yourself constantly
- 10:45 – Realtors are the voice for property owners; they aren’t banded together like realtors are
- 12:05 – People will respect and value you if you put in the work to become a true leader
3 Key Points
- Just be above average; do more than anyone else.
- Treat everyone the same and do the right thing.
- Know what’s going on in the industry and educate yourself constantly; the learning is never over.