Move over Cesar Millan, Jan Copeland’s husband is coming in to save this doggone day! Jan Copeland, leading realtor of 13 years and real estate coach, has got a crazy story that involves a foreclosed home, a drunk owner, and two not-so-ferocious pit bulls. Jan’s cash-for-keys stories are dangerous, life-threatening, and give us the behind-the-scenes footage that HGTV doesn’t. Listen in to hear how Jan handled these situations like a pro, and learn the top two pieces of advice she gives to all REALTORS®.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting The Leigh Brown Experience.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:00 – Introducing Jan
- 01:10 - She lives in Richmond, VA, was a realtor for 13 years, worked as a coach with her sister, and worked in corporate TeleCom before working in real estate
- 03:30 – Jan’s CSIRE story
- 03:35 – It involves dogs, beer, and the boonies and happened in 2005-2006
- 03:50 – She worked with foreclosures and went to homes offering cash for keys
- 04:05 – She went to a home with her husband where there were two pit bulls outside; he got out of the car and the pit bulls approached him
- 04:40 – She moved the car so she and her son wouldn’t be traumatized; the owner came home drunk, and in the meantime, her husband had befriended the pit bulls
- 05:30 – The owner of the home was upset that the dogs didn’t attack them, and her husband offered the cash or keys
- 05:35 – Another CSIRE story
- 05:40 – A man held her at gunpoint when she came to his home to offer cash for keys and told her to get off the property
- 06:08 – Crazy things happen in real estate: HGTV doesn’t even begin to cover it
- 06:50 – REALTORS® must manage situations in the moment
- 07:40 – Not everyone who gets foreclosed on is nice
- 07:45 – Another CSIRE story
- 08:00 – She was on a document for a foreclosed property and got a call from the police saying she was responsible for something happening at the property
- 08:05 – Water was spewing from the second-floor window and she told them that the owner was responsible; he had passed out drunk and was arrested
- 08:55 – Advice for realtors from a coach
- 09:15 – Purposefully connect every day
- 09:25 – Don’t use scripts and have a conversation instead
- 09:52 – How to contact Jan: email firstname.lastname@example.org, LinkedIn, Facebook, and by phone (540) 931-5050
3 Key Points
- REALTORS® must be experts at managing tough situations in the moment.
- Purposely connect every day – it’s not just “lead gen”!
- Ditch the scripts and have genuine conversations instead.