We needed some spunk so we’ve invited Marki Lemons to the show! Marki Lemons, a REALTOR®, broker, educator, and speaker has got something to say about the fact that REALTORS® are entrepreneurs and need to start thinking like it! She’ll discuss the importance of having a business plan and niche to really succeed as a REALTOR®. Tune in to hear how education plays a role in everyone’s career, how it played a role in hers, and learn how you can network and learn at the same time.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:30 – Introducing Marki, a broker, educator, and speaker who has been in real estate since 1999
- 01:20 – Marki came in on the lending side then transitioned over to the selling side
- 04:13 – She’s in high demand for speaking and teaching; she got real-world experience before teaching
- 06:42 – She loves real estate but is grounded in education; she is happy within her niche
- 09:00 – She understands the importance of educating the public as well as those within the real estate industry; she is precise and gives real answers
- 12:30 – On REALTORS® being entrepreneurs
- 12:47 - REALTORS® need a business plan and a niche to really shine; they should continue learning for the entirety of their career
- 13:30 – You can learn something new in every education opportunity; you can also network through those opportunities
- 15:15 – On how she obtained her broker’s license and what she learned
- 15:50 – She learned that she could make more money with fewer transactions with a broker’s license
- 16:35 – She learned about the MLS ID number and the local realtor’s association when she was first starting out and learned it was going to cost $1,200
- 17:30 – She realized that she didn’t know anything despite the fact that she studies what she needed to get the license
- 18:40 – On trying to get on the board of directors at the Chicago realtor’s association
- 19:45 – She wasn’t picked three times; they picked someone who wasn’t in the industry
- 20:20 – She was told that she didn’t volunteer enough and that she should become a licensed real estate educator
- 21:00 – She was put on the schedule to teach and got on the board of directors
- 22:50 – How to reach Marki: Type in her name across all channels and you’ll find her!
3 Key Points
- Acknowledgment that you don’t know everything makes you open to learn more.
- Invest in your education!
- Not all REALTORS® are created equal.