When’s the best time to discover that your spouse has 3 ex-husbands...and they’re all dead? Why, at the closing table, of course! Phil Treadwell, a regional manager and VP of development for Mason-McDuffie Mortgage, podcaster, and co-founder of the Industry Syndicate, didn’t see the black widow until her husband did, and even then, the property still closed. Listen in to find out what happened – and learn some useful parenting tips that’ll help you raise kids that aren’t assholes.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting leighbrown.com.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 03:00 – Phil’s CSIRE story
- 03:15 – It’s funny how people get into the mortgage industry; Phil’s funniest story was during a closing
- 03:50 – He was working with a middle-aged couple with no kids and everything was going well
- 04:17 – They sit at the closing table and there’s an AKA form (Also Known As) that indicates if a person has ever used any other name
- 05:08 – The woman has 5 different last names on her AKA form; the husband looked over and asked what they were
- 05:25 – One was her maiden name, one was her husband’s last name, and the other three were from her three ex-husbands
- 05:30 – The husband said, “What other marriages?” and, “Where are they?”
- 05:46 – She said that they had all died and he asked how; at that point the closer suggested they leave and let them talk it through
- 06:30 – The guy came out and said they were ready for closing and nothing else was mentioned about the ex-husbands
- 07:55 – Funny ways people end up in the lending industry
- 07:50 – His favorite story is of a teller of a bank who got robbed at gunpoint twice; he tried to quit and was put in the mortgage department instead
- 09:10 – How parents can get their kids ready for their first purchase
- 09:18 – Teach the value of hard work and a good work ethic
- 10:22 – Raise kids that aren’t entitled and want to achieve goals; prepare them for the world
- 12:20 – On budgeting after you buy a home
- 12:34 – Many people ask about how to position themselves to buy a home and don’t consider the budgeting required to maintain a home once you own it
- 13:34 – Have pride and satisfaction in your purchase and teach your kids to work for what they have
- 14:40 – How to contact Phil: his website and on all social channels as @philtreadwell
3 Key Points
- Watch out for black widows!
- You never know what’s going to happen or where you’ll end up!
- Don’t raise assholes.